Inspection Tips for Buyers and Sellers
If you’ve never been party to a home inspection, either as a buyer or a seller, here are a few tips to help the process along and ensure that things go as smoothly as possible.
Attending an inspection…
- Allow approximately three hours on site for a complete and thorough inspection.
- Try not to bring too many people with you to the inspection. Remember, this isn’t your house yet – we are here at the courtesy of the vendor.
Preparing your current home to be inspected…
- Budget approximately three hours for your purchaser and their inspector to be in your home.
- Avoid interfering with or distracting the inspector if you plan to be home.
- Ensure that you have provided the inspector with clear access to:
- the furnace
- water heater and shutoff
- electrical panel
- air conditioner
- attic hatch (clear shelves in closet if necessary, etc.)
- Ensure that there are no locked or obstructed doors.
- If the garage is equipped with an automatic opener, please ensure that a remote is available if required for access.
- You may also wish to ensure that personal and private items are properly put away. Remember, a home inspector will be checking closets and cupboards (but not drawers).